Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 30: We're halfway there

94.5 miles. Averaged 13.4 mph. We'll make it I swear. We're feeling the burn, the sunburn that is. Yesterday, on our day off we went to the local watering hole, the pool. It felt great to relax and nap for a bit. However, we're feeling the 'bit' a bit. Oh well. On our last ride we switched into Central Time and we're still trying to get used to seeing the sun so early. The wind was pretty strong again, coming out of the South. We met three other cyclists riding in the opposite direction today. Gene was from Switzerland, Ray was 68 years old, and Kurt had just started in Wichita. Each had a touring bike like many of the other cyclists we've met. So far we've been pretty happy with our Trek road bikes. Hopefully I haven't spoken too soon. Of course we had some Subway once we made it into Great Bend, KS. Today's the first time we've deviated from the Adventure Cycling maps. We cut a tangent that saved us 10 miles and prevented us from riding directly into the wind. For tonight it looks like we're going to try and survive another stay in a Walmart parking lot.

We were let in for free!

3 comments:

  1. Hi guys...Mike, we told you never to swear (ok at least one bad joke from Dad in the blog)...keep it up and be safe boys...John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy Dad. Now everyone knows where my humor is coming from haha. By the way, Bon Jovi would not be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, now I see the musical analogy...sorry..a little slow this morning I guess...I hope my New Jersey friends will forgive me...

    ReplyDelete